DataWorks! Data Management Plan Challenge
The DataWorks! DMP Challenge provides an opportunity to learn how to create optimal data management plans, receive expert feedback, and win prizes.
Data management plans (DMPs) play an integral role in ensuring that data are collected, organized, stored, and shared responsibly. This challenge is an opportunity to practice creating a DMP using the 2023 NIH Data Management and Sharing Plan template (NOT-OD-014). As part of this challenge, FASEB will award up to ten monetary awards.
The next DMP Challenge deadline will be announced mid 2023.
The next challenge opens mid 2023. Check back soon.
- The DMP must describe a current or past biological or biomedical research project.
- The DMP must use the FASEB DataWorks! template in the DMPTool. You will need to register for an account (it’s free) to access the template.
- The DMP should be in English and no more than two single-spaced pages in length.
- The DMP must be prepared using the DMPTool and made publicly available online.
- DMP Challenge submissions must use the FASEB submissions form and include a DMP-ID generated through the DMPTool.
Because of legal restrictions beyond our control, while anyone submitting a DMP will be considered for an award, the monetary component of the award is only available to participants who are eligible to work in the United States.
Valid submissions will be reviewed by a panel of expert judges, guided by a DMP rubric based on the Belmont Forum and DART Project and aligned with the NIH Policy for Data Management and Sharing requirements. Winners will be announced here on our website and social media. Have additional questions? Email us.
- Nicole Contaxis, MLIS, Data Librarian and Lead, NYU Data Catalog, New York University Health Sciences Library
- Ariel Deardorff, MLIS, Data Services Librarian, University of California San Francisco
- Nina Exner, PhD, Research Data Librarian and Associate Professor, Scholarly Communications and Publishing, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Lisa Federer, PhD, Data Science and Open Science Librarian
- Carrie Iwema, PhD, Coordinator of Basic Science Research Support, Health Sciences Library System, University of Pittsburgh
- Genevieve Milliken, MSLIS, Data Services Librarian, New York University Health Sciences Library
- Elizabeth Suelzer, MLIS, Scholarly Communications Librarian, Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Arizona Researcher Wins DMP Challenge Prize
Join us in congratulating Damian Romero as the DMP Challenge prize winner for his exemplary data management plan. The prize recognizes his DMP, Using Natural Language Processing to Determine Predictors of Healthy Diet and Physical Activity Behavior Change in Ovarian Cancer Survivors.
In addition to the $500 DataWorks! DMP Challenge award, Romero will receive a $500 matching award from the NNLM National Center for Data Services for his collaboration with University of Arizona data librarian Fernando Rios, PhD.
Romero is a PhD candidate at the University of Arizona in Hispanic Linguistics. He would like to thank his mentors Tracy E. Crane, PhD (University of Miami), Steven J. Bethard, PhD (University of Arizona), and Rios for their support.