Dates, Terms, and Conditions
Please review all dates, terms, and conditions prior to submission.
- Competition start: August 15, 2022
- Submission deadline: September 27, 2022
- Notification of winners: October 31, 2022
Entries must be one of the following:
- High resolution photography or illustration file less than 90 MB in size. Original JPG and TIF files are preferred; TIF files will need to be converted to .zip for submission
- Video file that is 60 seconds or less in length and less than 90 MB in size. WMV and MPEG-4 files are preferred; MPEG-4 files will need to be converted to .zip for submission
Entries must comply with the following conditions:
- Entries may be submitted by an individual or a group and the entrant or at least one entrant within a group must be either (1) a current or former federally funded (NIH, NSF, DOE, USDA, VA, etc.) investigator, contractor, or trainee, or (2) a current member of a FASEB society
- One entry per category allowed per submitter or group:
- Fluorescence or Electron Microscopy
- All Other Life Science Images
- Entries must be original creations by the submitter(s) and not published elsewhere
- The submitter(s) must hold the copyright of the submitted image. FASEB and partnering organizations are not responsible for legal claims related to the improper submission of works belonging to other individuals or organizations
- Entries must relate to life science research
- Images and videos must not be of a patient or human research subject, but may be of human cells
- Images, illustrations, or videos advertising or marketing specific companies or commercial products are ineligible
- All entrants grant FASEB and partnering organizations the ability to modify entries for future use and display, and also nonexclusive web and print publication rights, while retaining copyright
- Selection of contest winners is at the sole discretion of FASEB. All decisions by FASEB are final
- Submission of an image or video indicates that an entrant agrees to all BioArt terms and conditions listed above
- Contest entries will be evaluated on both aesthetic impact and scientific content. FASEB is seeking quality images that would be included in a peer-reviewed scientific publication or presentation and that effectively communicate an important aspect of 21st Century biological research. When viewed in conjunction with the supporting nontechnical statement, submissions should be visually arresting and clearly communicate a cutting-edge biomedical science concept. Above all, the entry should inspire.
- A panel of distinguished scientists will select the winning images and videos.