Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee Charter
The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee oversees execution of the FASEB DEI Strategic Plan. It is charged with developing and monitoring strategies to guide the Federation’s efforts to foster diverse, equitable, and inclusive research, training, and professional environments within FASEB and its member societies, and to engage in collaborative partnerships with external organizations to promote DEI across the biological and biomedical sciences. The DEI Committee will report biannually to the Board of Directors.
1. Create and oversee a focused agenda to promote DEI within the Federation and to support DEI efforts of member societies.
2. Develop effective communication and outreach strategies to collaborate with FASEB member societies, Federation stakeholders, and external entities/organizations on DEI initiatives.
3. Develop funding mechanisms to foster collaboration with FASEB member societies, Federation stakeholders, and external entities/organizations on DEI initiatives.
4. Establish metrics to assess outcomes and determine the success of ongoing DEI programs/initiatives.
5. Revise the FASEB DEI Strategic Plan as needed.
Committee Membership (15 members):
- Incoming Chair
- Immediate Past Chair
- Board Members (3)
- Science Policy Committee (SPC) Member (1)
- Current or past volunteers or staff from FASEB Member Society DEI committees (4)
- FASEB Member Society Executive Officer (1)
- FASEB Member Society Trainees (Graduate Student, 1; Postdoctoral Fellow, 1)
- FASEB Staff Representatives (2)
Ex Officio Members:
- Two representatives from national organizations with known expertise in DEI such as:
- Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS) Staff
- Staff Member from American Society for Microbiology overseeing the Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS)
- Association for Women in Science (AWIS)
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE)
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- National Diversity Council
- National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals Inc. (NOGLSTP)
(Note: The above list can be expanded to incorporate additional organizations as necessary)
- FASEB Executive Director/CEO
- Director from the Office of Sponsored Programs, Diversity and Grants Administration
- Chair of the Training and Career Opportunities Subcommittee of the SPC
*Individuals eligible for the Chair position should be either an active FASEB Board or SPC member or someone who has served on the Board or SPC within the past two years consistent with eligibility for FASEB officer positions. The chair will be expected to serve out the full three-year term of the position regardless of whether their term on the Board and/or SPC ends during this period.
Term of Service
Committee members will be appointed to staggered, three-year terms so that one-third of the committee members will rotate off each year. Nominations from the Federation leadership and member society EOs, Councils/Boards, or staff, as well as self-nominations are encouraged. Individuals interested in serving on the DEI Committee will submit a nomination form expressing their rationale for serving on the DEI Committee and highlighting their past DEI experience in addition to their CV. Chair nominees will be voted on by the current DEI Committee membership. Nominations for other positions will be evaluated for suitability by the current Chair and Immediate Past Chair and appointments will be made accordingly. Committee members have the opportunity for reappointment, contingent upon their commitment and past participation in DEI Committee efforts.
- Monthly video conference calls with additional calls as needed
- In person meeting (once or twice a year)*
- DEI newsletter (quarterly)
- Annual DEI Symposium/Event/Webinar*
* Designates events that are subject to review and alteration to meet any short-term budgetary constraints
- March: DEI Committee presents update to the Board of Directors to establish objectives/priorities for DEI initiatives and to review progress over the past year.
- May 1st – June 1st: Recruitment of nominations for open positions on DEI Committee and Incoming Chair. Nomination forms are due COB on June 1st.
- June 2nd – June 30th: Election of DEI Committee Chair and appointment of new members to open positions on Committee.
- July 1st: New DEI Committee members start their 3-year term.
- July – September: DEI Committee will review the DEI Strategic Plan to prioritize goals and make revisions as necessary
- Work closely with OSPDGA and the Development Committee on potential funding mechanisms
- December: DEI Committee provides a progress Report to the Board
- Funding activities/DEI engagement activities/DEI resource development
- Monthly conference calls
- DEI Newsletter
- DEI Symposium/Event/Webinar