FASEB Excellence in Science Award
The FASEB Excellence in Science Award is given in recognition of outstanding achievement by women in biological science. Recipients are women whose career achievements have contributed significantly to further our understanding of a particular discipline by excellence in research.
2022 Award Nomination
Nominations for the 2022 FASEB Excellence in Science Awards will be accepted beginning March 1, 2021 through June 3, 2021. Nominees for the 2021 award cycle not selected for their respective award will be automatically re-nominated for the 2022 cyle as eligible.
The Excellence in Science program offers three awards to recognize achievements by women scientists at different career stages. The three award categories are:
Award recipients will be expected to present an Excellence in Science Award Lecture at the annual meeting of a FASEB member society. Presentation of the award will take place in conjunction with the lecture. In addition to the unrestricted research grant, the award covers the recipients’ travel to/from the meeting, hotel expenses, complimentary meeting registration, and a plaque in recognition of the awardee’s achievement.
Nomination Criteria and Eligibility
- Nominators and nominees must be a member of at least one FASEB Full Member Society but do not have to be members of the same society
- Recipients of the award are required to present an Excellence in Science Award Lecture at a scientific meeting of a FASEB member society of her choice in the award year
- All nominations must be submitted using the appropriate Excellence in Science Award nomination form (links provided at the bottom of the page when nominations are being accepted
- Individuals who have been nominated for the Excellence in Science Award in the past must be re-nominated for consideration in the 2021 award cycle
Note: The nomination form must be filled out in one session so it is essential that nominators have all information and documents available before beginning the process. All attachments to the nominee form must be in PDF format and use the following file name structure:
NOMINEE SURNAME Nomination.pdf, NOMINEE SURNAME CV.pdf, NOMINEE SURNAME Reprint 1.pdf, etc.
The Excellence in Science Award Committee will evaluate the nominations on the following criteria:
- Scientific achievements
- Impact on trainees and career development of others
- Service activities
Click here to view a summary of the criteria for the three Excellence in Science awards.
Note: Nomination packages should address these criteria
1. Nomination letter, setting forth in detail:
- Contributions to the field that represent the nominee’s outstanding achievement in science
- Evidence of leadership
- Evidence of service
- Evidence of national recognition
- Honors and awards
- Synopsis of selected bibliography
2. Complete curriculum vitae documenting:
- All publications
- Leadership roles
- Serivce Roles
- Honors and recognition
- Grant awards
3. Five nominee reprints demonstrating most significant contributions
4. Support Letters
Excellence in Science – Lifetime Achievement (Six total letters)
- Three letters of support from the nominee’s peers illustrating impact on the field
- Three letters of recommendation from trainees illustrating mentorship and impact on careers
Excellence in Science – Mid-Career Investigator (Three total letters)
- Three letters of support illustrating nominee’s impact on research and mentoring/career development
Excellence in Science – Early-Career Investigator (Three total letters)
- Three letters of support illustrating nominee’s impact on research and/or training and education in biological or biomedical science
Note: The numbers of documents to be submitted are exact. Additional documents will not be accepted and fewer documents than the numbers specified will be considered an incomplete nomination.
2021 Award Nomination
Review of the 2021 nominations is underway. We anticipate announcing awardees in late Spring 2021.
2020 Award Announcement
Excellence in Science Award – Lifetime Achievement: Brigid L. M. Hogan, PhD, FRS
Excellence in Science Award – Mid-Career Investigator: Aviv Regev, PhD
Excellence in Science Award – Early-Career Investigator: Karen A. Schindler, PhD
Read the full announcement.