2018 Platinum Supporters

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Registration and Payment

What does the registration fee include?

The single and double occupancy attendee registration fees include five nights of lodging (Sunday through Thursday, with checkout on Friday morning), all meals (five breakfasts, five lunches, and five dinners), and access to all scientific sessions and posters. The off-site registration fee includes all meals (five breakfasts, five lunches, and five dinners), and access to all scientific sessions and posters.

I cannot stay at the conference for the entire time. Can the registration fee be prorated?

No. FASEB is contractually obligated to pay for five nights of lodging (official conference dates only) at each conference regardless of the number of nights an attendee chooses to stay at the venue.

What forms of payment are accepted?

FASEB only accepts Visa, MasterCard, or American Express.  Checks, wire transfers and purchase orders are not accepted.

How do I make a change to my registration?

Please contact the FASEB SRC office.  A change or modification to the credit card on file will result in a $50.00 processing/change fee. Changes to lodging accommodations only will be excluded from this policy.

How do I know I am registered?

The following documents will be emailed to registrants immediately following the completion of registration:

  • Confirmation of registration / payment receipt
  • Letter of Invitation for VISA application (international travelers only), if applicable

How do I cancel my registration?

Notice of cancellation must be received by the cancellation date.  If the cancellation notification is received by the cancellation date, the registrant will receive a full refund minus a $300.00 cancellation fee. No refunds will be issued for cancellation received after the cancellation deadline. Please download, complete and return the registration cancellation form to the FASEB office.

What is the official language of the SRCs?

The official language of the FASEB Science Research Conferences is English. Translation services are not provided.

Will name badges be supplied onsite or mailed?

Name badges will be supplied onsite and must be worn at all times during scientific and poster sessions, and meals.  Persons not wearing name badges will be asked to leave the general and poster sessions, as well as meals.

International Attendees

Immigration Policy

Due to changes in immigration policy, we suggest you contact either the United States Department of State, or your local consulate if you have question regarding your immigration status, and ability to attend the FASEB Scientific Research Conferences in 2018. Individuals holding a passport from one of the seven impacted countries, who are denied entry into the US, for the purpose of attending a FASEB SRC directly as a result of the current immigration policy, may contact the SRC Team at src@faseb.org with their specific circumstances and inquiries. We would like to work with you directly to help minimize any impact this has on your education.

How can I get an official letter of invitation to attend the conference?

During the registration process, there will be a check box option for a letter of invitation. Mark this box, and a letter of invitation will be sent to you as part of your confirmation materials once registration and your payment have been processed by the online system.

What should I do if I am registered and am not able to receive a Visa in time to attend the conference?

If you are concerned that you will not receive your Visa in time for the conference, please contact the FASEB SRC office immediately. If you notify us before the cancellation deadline date, four (4) weeks prior to the conference start date we will refund your registration fee less the $300.00 cancellation fee.  A registration cancellation form must be provided. Your registration fee will not be refunded if the cancellation form is received after the cancellation deadline date.

When traveling abroad, how can I get access to funds?

Below is a listing of general banking information in countries we hold SRCs:

  • Canada:
  • Italy:
  • Portugal: Banking hours are Monday - Friday from 8:30AM - 3:00PM.  Some have extended hours to 5:00PM.  ATM machines in Portugal are known as Multibanco System.
  • United States: Banking hours are generally Monday to Friday, 9:00AM – 5:00PM. A few banks are open on Saturdays as well. You can withdraw money from ATM bank machines using your credit card and make purchases in stores and restaurants. Signs will display which credit cards are accepted or you can ask the retailer. Check with your local financial institution to verify if you are able to use your home bank card or credit card prior to travel.

What is the official currency in the conference host city?

Below is a listing of general currency information in countries we hold SRCs:

  • Canada: The Canadian dollar is the currency of Canada. It is abbreviated with the dollar sign $, or sometimes Can$ or C$ to distinguish it from other dollar-denominated currencies. It is divided into 100 cents.
  • Italy: The official currency is the Euro(€). Banknotes come in seven denominations: 5€, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500
  • Portugal:  The official currency is the Euro(€). Banknotes come in seven denominations: 5€, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500
  • United States: The official currency is US Dollars ($). Banknotes come in six denominations: $100, 50, 20, 10, 5 and 1

What are the dialing codes in the conference host city?

Below is a listing of the general dialing code information in countries we hold SRCs:

  • Canada: The International calling code is +1
  • Italy: The International calling code is +39
  • Portugal: The International access code is 011 351 21
  • United States: The International access code is 1

What type of electrical outlets will be available?

Below is a listing of the general electrical information in the countries we hold SRCs:

  • Canada: Outlets and voltage (110 volts) are th same as in the United States. Small appliances such as hair dryers, irons, razors, etc. can be used in Canada. For those from other countries, adapters are required for electrical appliances. The frequency of electrical current in Canada is 60 Hz.
  • Italy: Electrical sockets (outlets) in Italy (Repubblica Italiana) usually supply electricity at between 220 and 240 volts AC. If you're plugging in an appliance that was built for 220-240 volt electrical input, or an appliance that is compatible with multiple voltages, then an adapter is all you need.
  • Portugal: The local current is 220 AC and the connection is made by a two-pin plug.  Traveler's from the USA will require a voltage converter.
  • United States: Voltage in the United States is 120 volts (60 Hz). Outlet sockets use either a Type A plug which is a class II ungrounded plug with two flat parallel prongs, or a Type B plug which is a class I plug with two flat parallel prongs and a grounding pin.

What is the appropriate tip when going out?

Below is a listing of the general tip practices in the countries we hold SRCs:

  • Canada: In restaurants Tip 15% - 20% in Canada. In Canada, tipping is expected, and is meant to keep encouraging good service. A gratuity of between 15% and 20% of the bill before tax, depending on the level of service. Tip 15% for normal service, 20% for exceptional service
  • Italy: At restaurants, check the menu to see if service is included; if it isn’t, a tip of 5-10 percent is normal
  • Portugal: The bill at restaurants includes charges for what you eat; it is customary to leave a 10% tip if the service is exceptional
  • United States: Gratuities are generally not included in restaurant prices, taxis fares, etc. It is customary to give a tip of 15-20%

Abstracts and Posters

What is the photography policy?

Photographs or Video recording by attendees/speakers during any portion of a FASEB SRC conference is prohibited without prior written permission of the author/presenter, organizers and FASEB SRC staff.

Do I have to submit an abstract with my registration?

No, submitting an attendee abstract is optional unless you want to be considered for a poster session or a short talk.

Can I register now and submit my abstract later?

No, abstracts must be submitted when you register to attend the conference.

Can I register and submit my abstract after the early bird deadline date?

Yes, as long as there is space available at the conference. However, a late fee of $150.00 will be charged.

What is the latest date to submit an abstract?

Abstract deadline for inclusion in the program and consideration for a short talk is 30 days from the start of the conference.

If I’ve submitted an abstract, will I present a poster?

Yes. The time for your poster presentation will be listed in the program given out at the conference.

How large are the poster boards? Do I need to bring my own pushpins?

Typically, poster boards measure 3’ 8” high by 5’ 6” wide, but may vary depending on location. FASEB SRC staff will communicate any changes to attendees if poster boards are not the standard size. Pushpins will be provided onsite. In Portugal, poster boards are 4' 9" high (1,50 m) by 3' 9" wide (1,20 m).

Have I been selected to give a short talk at the conference?  Will I still present a poster?

If you have been selected to give a short talk, the Conference Organizer(s) will contact you directly four to six weeks prior to the conference. Yes, you will be assigned a poster location during one of the poster sessions.

Can I take pictures of posters or record a session?

During the conferences, attendees are prohibited from using photography, video, or recording devices during scientific sessions and poster sessions.


What do single occupancy, double occupancy, and off-site lodging mean?

  • Single Occupancy: one (1) registered conference attendee to a room
  • Double Occupancy: two (2) registered conference attendees sharing one room with two beds. Each attendee pays the double occupancy registration fee.
  • Off-Site: the attendee is responsible for arranging for and paying for their own lodging arrangements.

I need to arrive a day before the conference starts and/or stay a day after the conference has concluded. What do I need to do to make arrangements for the extra night(s)?

You must contact the venue directly to make arrangements for the extra nights of lodging. You are responsible for paying for any additional nights. Please note: in Vermont and Cambridge, additional nights at the dorms are not possible. You must make a reservation at a local hotel. Visit the city of your conference for additional venue options.

Reimbursement Process

What are the reimbursement procedures for Invited Speakers?

Invited speakers can find reimbursement procedures as well as other relevant information under the "For Invited Speakers" tab of their conference website. Alternatively, Invited Speaker Information is available on the main SRC website.

Child and Family Care Resources

What child care and/or family resources are available?

FASEB provides detailed information for each conference site on the Science Research Conference (SRC)  website and also provides venue information directly to each attendee. Although FASEB does not directly provide child care services, attendees are welcome to have guests (including spouses, children, nannies and babysitters) accompany them to the conference to provide such care. FASEB offers an alternative off-site registration fee at all conferences, to accommodate those with special family care needs (the off-site fee includes the conference and all meals but enables attendees to book their own accommodations). Both the FASEB and venue websites include information on nearby off-site accommodations that can assist attendees with locating licensed child care providers and daycare services. The venue management will also provide any assistance to attendees regarding child/family care issues or concerns.  Each attendee is also encouraged to contact FASEB with any special needs that they may have.


What is the cancellation policy?

Cancellations that are received at least four (4) weeks prior to the start of the conference will receive a full refund less a $300.00 cancellation fee. See the cancellation deadline date for your conference. There will be no refunds issued if the registration cancellation form is received after the cancellation deadline date.

I cannot attend the conference; can I send someone in my place?

No, substitutions are not allowed. Each attendee must register and be approved to attend the conference based on their own credentials.

Invited Speakers and Session Chairs

Where can I find information for Invited Speakers and Session Chairs?

Information for Invited speakers and Session Chairs can be found under the "For Invited Speakers" tab of the conference website. Alternatively, Invited Speaker Information is available on the main SRC website.


Please note new TSA Airport ID requirements for Domestic Flights: Starting January 22, 2018 you will need an alternate ID to fly if you have a driver’s license or ID Issued by any of the following states:
Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Washington