FASEB Hosts Webinar on What’s At Stake for Research Funding in the Fall Budget Battles Created by on 09/26/2013
By Meghan McCabe
On September 12, the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB) hosted its first webinar, entitled “Capitol Hill Budget Battle: What’s at Stake for Research Funding,” which attracted a broad audience of over 200 research scientists, advocates from patient groups, and university faculty. The webinar presentation explained how conflicts over the fiscal year 2014 budget that are currently taking place in Washington are affecting funding for federal agencies like the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the National Science Foundation.
FASEB urged participants to contact their members of Congress, write editorials for their local papers, and become advocates for funding federal science as well as their own research labs and institutions. “Public opinion matters,” stated Jennifer Zeitzer, FASEB Director of Legislative Affairs. “It’s never been more important for scientists to speak out.” Information and resources shared with webinar participants can be found below.
- To Email your members of Congress – click here
- To Call your members of Congress- click here
- To join FASEB’s CapWiz e-Action list – click here
- To sign up for FASEB’s bi-weekly online newsletter, The Washington Update – click here
- NIH State factsheets – click here
- NIH District specific factsheets – click here
- Sequestration factsheet –click here
- Value of Federally Funded Biomedical Research factsheet – click here
- Sequestration and House Budget Factsheet – click here
- To view an archived version of FASEB’s September 12, 2013, webinar—click here
- NIH Funding Trends Analysis – click here
If you have any questions, require additional information, or would like a copy of the slides used in the webinar, please contact Meghan McCabe (firstname.lastname@example.org).