General R&D Information
This page contains general information on the U.S. research and development enterprise, including historical funding trends for all U.S. science agencies, national research expenditures, scientific workforce statistics, and major science policy reports relevant to advancing basic research.
The tables below describe the history of the US investment in R&D. Included are historical funding trends by US science agency and research area in current and inflation adjusted dollars “constant” dollars where available.
- Full Trends in Federal Research Report (AAAS)
- Historical Data on Federal R&D, FY 1976-2013 (AAAS)
- Historical Data on Federal R&D, FY 1976-2013 in Constant Dollars (AAAS)
- Trends in Research by Agency, FY 1976-2013 (AAAS)
- Trends in Basic Research by Agency, FY 1975-2013 (AAAS)
- Trends in Federal R&D, FY 1998-2013 (selected agencies in constant dollars, FY 1998=100) (AAAS)
- Trends in Federal R&D as % of GDP, FY 1976-2013 (AAAS)
- Trends in Federal R&D, FY 1976-2013 (Defense vs. Nondefense spending) (AAAS)
- Selected Trends in Nondefense R&D, FY 1976-2013 (NIH/DHS vs. other) (AAAS)
- Trends in Federal Research by Discipline, FY 1970-2007 (AAAS)
- Education and Employment of Biological and Medical Scientists: Data from National Surveys (FASEB)
- Science and Engineering Statistics (NSF)
Science Policy Reports