Terms and Conditions
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO PARTICIPATE OR WIN.
1. The Sponsors: The Stand up for Science Video Competition is sponsored by the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB), located at 9650 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, Maryland 20814.
The Competition is open to any Entrant who is 13 years of age or older. If an Entrant is between the age of 13 and the age of majority in the Entrant’s domicile, a parent or guardian must make the submission on behalf of the minor Entrant
. In the case of a parent or guardian of a minor Entrant, the person submitting the entry shall be understood to be making all statements, agreements, and representations on behalf of both her/himself and the minor Entrant. The Competition is only open to legal residents of the United States of America and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of FASEB, their respective affiliates, societies, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, suppliers and their immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of each are not eligible to participate in the Competition. The Competition is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
3. Agreement to Rules: By participating, the Entrant or the parent or guardian of a minor Entrant agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Terms and Conditions. The Entrant or the parent or guardian of a minor Entrant represent and warrant that they meet the eligibility requirements set forth herein. In addition, the Entrant or the parent or guardian of a minor Entrant agree to accept the decisions of FASEB as final and binding as it relates to the Competition.
4. Competition Period: Entries will be accepted online starting on or about October 1, 2013, at 12:00AM, and ending November 30, 2013 at 12:00AM. All online entries must be received by November 30, 2013, at 12:00AM. Competition entries will be judged from December 1, 2013, until January 31, 2014. Winners will then be announced on or about February 14, 2013. All times are Eastern Standard Time.
5. How to Enter:
The Competition must be entered by submitting an entry using the online form provided on the FASEB website [www.faseb.org/contest
]. The entry must fulfill all Competition requirements, as specified herein, to be eligible to win an award. Entries that are not complete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of FASEB.
You may submit multiple entries. You must fill in the information requested and upload the appropriate video file. Your entry will be reviewed privately by Competition judges. If you use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules, your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of FASEB.
Video Requirements: The purpose of this Competition is to bring awareness to the importance of federal funding in biomedical and biological research.
- Must describe at least one of the following federal agencies:
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- National Science Foundation (NSF), Directorate for Biological Sciences
- Department of Energy (DOE), Office of Science
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Agriculture and Food Research Initiative
- Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Medical and Prosthetic Research Program
- Must address at least three (3) of the following questions:
- What is the mission of the agency(ies)?
- What type(s) of research is supported by the agency(ies)?
- Who performs the research supported by the agency(ies)?
- Where do the researchers perform the science that is supported by the agency(ies)? Is any research conducted in your state supported by the agency(ies)?
- What are some of the major discoveries that were supported through that agency(ies)?
- How does the research funded by the agency(ies) benefit Americans?
- How does the agency(ies) get the funds to distribute to the researchers?
- What is the process by which researchers obtain funds through the agency(ies)?
- What fiscal challenges does this agency(ies) face in the future?
- Must meet be between one and four minutes in length, must not exceed 95MB, and must be in one of the following formats: .wmv, .flv, .zip, .mp3
- Must be appropriate for a non-technical audience
- Must be the Entrant’s own product, and may not contain any third party materials unless the necessary rights to use that material have been obtained
- Must not be unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, deceptive, fraudulent, invasive of another’s privacy, tortious, or contain explicitly or graphic descriptions or accounts of sexual acts, or otherwise contain any other content that the Sponsors deem to be objectionable
- Must not victimize, harass, degrade, or intimidate an individual or group of individuals on the basis of religion, gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, age, or disability
- Must not contain an advertisement, solicitation, or other commercial content
- Must comply with these Terms and Conditions
7. How to Win: The winner of this Competition will be selected by a panel of judges appointed by FASEB. Judges will follow the predesigned Judging Rubric. The video submission earning the most points will be the winner. In the event of a tie, the panel of judges will choose the winner.
The Prize for the Competition are listed on the "About"
page. The winner of the Competition will be awarded $5,000. The prize winner will be required to provide a social security number for tax purposes. No substitution of award or transfer/assignment of award to others is permitted. Acceptance of award constitutes permission for FASEB to use winner's name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
9. Notification: Winner of the Competition will be notified by e-mail to the e-mail address provided within five (5) days following the winner selection. FASEB shall have no liability for a winner's failure to receive notices due to winner's spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for winner's provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If the winner cannot be reached after reasonable efforts have been exerted during the five (5) days from the date of the applicable winner selection, or if he/she is found to be ineligible, or if he/she cannot or does not comply with these Competition Terms and Conditions, such winner will be disqualified and an alternate winner may be selected.
10. Rights Granted by you: By entering this content you understand that FASEB, anyone acting on behalf of FASEB, or its respective licensees, successors and assigns will have the right, where permitted by law, without any further notice, review or consent to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use, worldwide in any media now known or hereafter in perpetuity and throughout the World, your entry, including, without limitation, the entry and winner's name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image or statements about the Competition, and biographical information as news, publicity or information and for trade, advertising, public relations and promotional purposes without any further compensation.
11. Rights to Work: By entering the Competition, you represent and warrant that your entry is your original work and does not include third party content or materials without necessary permission and that it will not infringe on the rights of any third party. In addition, you have obtained all rights, licenses, permissions and consents necessary to submit the entry and to grant the other rights outlined in the rules.
12. Terms: FASEB reserves the right, in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Competition. In such case, FASEB may select the recipients from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by FASEB. FASEB reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any person who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Competition or website or violates these Terms and Conditions or for other good cause.
Any attempt by an Entrant to deliberately damage any web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the Competition may be a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, FASEB reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law.
13. Limitation of Liability: By entering you agree to release and hold harmless FASEB, and its subsidiaries, affiliates, societies, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from (i) such Entrant's participation in the Competition and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any award or any portion thereof, (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunctioning of any computer, cable, network, hardware or software; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions or telephone or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error which may occur in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
14. Governing Law: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these official rules or the rights and obligations of entrants or sponsor in connection with the Competition shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of Maryland without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions that would cause the application of any other state's laws.
15. Winner List:
After the winner has been notified, the winner will be announced on the Competition website [www.faseb.org/contest