Guide to Benefits: FASEB Helps Internationally
Supporting Scientists Across the Globe
FASEB society members hail from every continent. The Federation advances the interests of all biomedical scientists and engineers by developing and advocating for policies that benefit this global research community.
Creating Research and Training Opportunities
FASEB is an ardent proponent of federal funding for science in the U.S. This investment provides research grants and training opportunities in the U.S. and abroad. It also builds scientific capacity and fosters research collaborations. U.S. science funding has also stimulated other nations to expand support for research and development, benefitting all scientists and the research enterprise as a whole.
Facilitating Participation in Science
With international security concerns on the rise, FASEB has been working to ensure that scientists have the opportunity to participate fully in the exchange of research findings. The Federation has:
- Advocated successfully against a “deemed export” proposal by the Departments of Commerce and Defense, which would have imposed significant restrictions on foreign scientists working in U.S. universities
- Promoted less restrictive visa policies for scientists interested in conducting research in the U.S.
- Opposed restrictions on travel to international meetings by U.S. government scientists,
- facilitating the global exchange of information
Promoting Favorable Conditions for Research
Both U.S. and international researchers benefit from policies that facilitate research and limit regulatory burden. FASEB has taken an active role in regulatory policy on an international level by promoting the standardization of research-friendly policies in the areas of:
- Laboratory animal care and use
- Hazardous materials, infectious agents, and biosecurity
- Stem cells and somatic cell nuclear transfer
- Intellectual property and technology transfer
- Visas and travel to meetings
Beyond the benefits of FASEB’s public affairs program, FASEB societies and their members can take advantage of:
- FASEB’s Summer Research Conference (SRC) series, which has been expanding its program of scientific meetings outside of the U.S.
- International conference management through FASEB’s Association Management Services
- FASEB’s Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC) program
- Discounted subscriptions to The FASEB Journal
- Opportunities to network with other FASEB societies, many of which have large international memberships
- Educational and advocacy publications, including our Breakthroughs in Bioscience series
Are you Ready to Get More Involved?
It is our belief that all of us working together, rather than as separate entities, will accomplish more toward the advancement of biological and biomedical sciences. We are an organization that is engaged in public policy for the benefit of our members.
If you share our vision of collaborative advocacy, please browse our website for additional resources or request more information about FASEB's benefits by sending a web request here or by dialing 301.634.7213.
Please feel free to share our FASEB Guide to Benefits with your collegues and fellow society members: